His Life : A Timeline of the life of William Saunders
- December 7, 1822 – William Saunders is born in St. Andrews, Scotland
- Spends some of his youth living in India. His father was gardener to a gentleman who spent most of his time living at his residence in India. The Saunders family occupied this residence and, as a boy, young William enjoyed exploring and working in the beautiful gardens of this property.
- February 8, 1848 – Marriage to Miss Martha Mildwaters at the Old Church, Hammersmith, Middlesex, England
- They soon after sailed to America from London, aboard the ship “American Eagle” – arriving at the Port of New York on March 31st, 1848.
- William Saunders first job in America was working as a gardener for Mr. William Bostwick, Esq of New Haven, Connecticut.
- January 16, 1849 – William and Martha gave birth to their first child, a son they named David Irwin Saunders, born in New Haven.